About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1236

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Obama 20, Virginia 6, Denver 5, Us 5, Shepard Smith 5, Megyn Kelly 5, Florida 4, Washington 4, Beckel 4, Motorola 3, America 3, Jon Stewart 3, Charles Krauthammer 3, Laura Ingraham 3, Bob Beckel 3, Krauthammer 3, Pbs 2, In Ohio 2, Fox News 2, Mr. Romney 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.   
   (2012) New. (CC)  

    October 4, 2012
    8:00 - 9:00pm EDT  

8:00pm
2012. i'm trace gallagher in for shepard smith. a reminder, sean hannity's interview with governor romney and congressman ryan tonight at 9:00 p.m. eastern. the factor with bill o'reilly starts right now. >> bill: the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> look, i have got five boys. i'm used to people saying something that's not always true but just keep on repeating and ultimately hoping i will believe it. >> at some point i think the american people have to ask themselves is the reason that governor romney is keeping all these plans to replace secret because they are too good? >> bill: gosh romney scoring big in the debate last night. all the polls say that. but what happened behind the scenes? krauthammer, beckel, ingraham and kelly will all weigh in. >> obama arrived in denver at 2:00 p.m., just a few hours before the debate started. romney did his debate prep in
8:01pm
denver. >> bill: al gore said it was the altitude that hurt president obama during the debate ♪ rocky mountain high. >> is the former vice president high? >> you all only have a few hours to adjust. >> that's interesting. >> i don't know. >> bill: jon stewart may be getting a bit nervous over my debate with him on saturday. >> o'reilly is 6'5". 250. it's like debating a yeddi. i need to stay away from his paws. if he gets a paw on me. >> it's over. >> bill: we will have the latest on the rumble in washington, d.c. >> bill: caution, you where to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. ♪ >> bill: hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thank you for watching us tonight. what really happened at the debate last night?
8:02pm
that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. shortly after the debate ended, i received an email from one dennis miller who lives in san that barbara, california. mr. miller opining i hope the president's but the -- butt kicking is covered by obama care. apparently mr. miller believes mitt romney won the debate. that's true the governor did win. how do i know? because i turned to msnbc. the commentators there looked like per persians watching the germans march into paris in 1940. there was general heart break on that cable network. there was joy in the romney precincts. how did romney manage to outtalk president obama? he did it because weighs far more energetic and engaged in what he was actually saying. here is the best line mr. romney had. >> i will not reduce the share paid by high income individuals. i know that you and your running made keep saying that and i know it's a popular thing to say with a lot of
8:03pm
people but it's just not the case. look, i have got five boys. i'm used to people saying something that's not always true but just keep on repeating it and ultimately hoping i will belief it that's not the case. all right? i will not reduce the taxes paid by high income americans. >> bill: that was a scripted line but the governor delivered it well. on the other side, president obama's best line mocked romney over the vagueness of his tax proposals. >> at some point, i think the american people have to ask themselves, is the reason that governor romney is keeping all these plans to replace secret because they are too good? is it because that somehow middle class families are going to benefit too much from them? >> bill: again that was a scripted line. the president didn't deliver it with much verb. >> the president the is a good debater and public speaker we know that the mistake he he made last night was coming off as a boring college professor. he simply droned on and on
8:04pm
about people he met in kalamazoo or some place, who had a tough deal going on. instead of making dramatic points, the president meandered. and i couldn't believe -- i couldn't believe that mr. obama didn't even bring up mitt romney's 47% remark. what happened to that? by saying he thought 47% of americans wouldn't vote for him because they are tied to entitlements mr. romney put himself in a difficult position and the president doesn't even mention it? astounding. also mr. obama did not look to the future. he did not tell americans how he is going to improve the economy. while governor romney said flat out that he wants to put more american dollars into the marketplace by cutting taxes. even if you disagree with that at least it's a strategy. mr. obama no strategy other than staying the course which is a disaster. that's why mitt romney won. reaction to to the debate was
8:05pm
fascinating. our pal al gore blamed the president's weak performance on the altitude in denver. >> i'm going to say something controversial here. obama arrived in denver at 2:00 p.m. today. just a few hours before the debate started. romney did his debate prep in denver. when you go to 5,000 feet. >> exactly. >> and you only have a few hours to adjust. >> that's interesting. >> i don't know. >> bill: was mr. gore high when he said that. some obama supporters simply declared victory. >> i think the president won on poise, won on grace. he won on substance. mitt romney came to play hard ball. it showed mitt romney was on the attack on the offensive. at the same time he didn't really land any big punches on president obama. >> bill: memo to donna brazil
8:06pm
whom i like the governor didn't have to land any big punches because the president slipped to the canvas all by himself. our pal james carville was a bit more realistic. >> it looked like romney wanted to be there and president obama didn't want to be there. he seemed like he was happy to be there debating because obama gave the impression that this -- the whole thing was kind of a lot of trouble. >> bill: it was a lot of trouble for the president. a cnn poll taken immediately after the debate said that 67% of registered voters believe mitt romney won the contest. just 25 percent said president obama did. a cbs news poll of uncommitted voters who watched the debate was interesting. 46% of them say mitt romney won. 22% believe the president came out on top. 32% say it was a tie. so, it was a good night for governor romney indeed. now, what does this mean going forward? number one, the romney campaign is energized. it will be easier to raise money. number two, the president's
8:07pm
attack ads on television against romney not going to be taken as seriously because the folks have seen the governor definite himself effectively. number three, president obama will lose some steam in the polls, and with the adoring media. but, and this is big: mr. obama will come back hard on october 16th. you can count on that. governor romney has to, again, be on his game. two more things. from the very beginning of the campaign, i said the debates will tell the tale. >> bill: what mitt romney absolutely has to do, if he hopes to defeat president obama is win the three debates. now, we have seen the governor debate well and we have seen him get his butt kicked. >> bill: last night romney debated well. and may be on his way to the white house if that continues. finally i made this prediction last night. >> mitt romney will wish the first couple a happy anniversary. one of the first things he does. >> congratulations to you, mr. president, on your anniversary. i'm sure this was the most
8:08pm
romantic place you could imagine here with me. [ laughter ] so congratulations. >> bill: way to go, governor. keep watching the factor. and that's the memo. now for the rest of the program this evening. we're going to analyze what happened last night in a no-spin way. charles krauthammer is next followed by bob beckel. megyn kelly and laura ingraham. the factor will return after these announcements. are you ready ?
8:09pm
share everything by turning your smartphone into a mobile hotspot for up to 8 wifi-enabled devices at no extra charge. like the new droid razr m by motorola only $99.99.
8:10pm
8:11pm
>> bill: continuing now with our lead story, assessing the presidential debate last night. as we mentioned the consensus is that mitt romney deteethed barack obama. and today mr. obama under his energy a bit. >> so you see the man on stage last night, he does not want to be held accountable for the real mitt romney's decisions and what he has been saying for the last year. so governor romney may dance around his positions but if you want to be president, you
8:12pm
owe the american people the truth. >> bill: joining us now from washington fox news analyst charles krauthammer. give me something new, charles, give me something you picked up during that debate. >> what i learned by watching it is that mitt romney doesn't seem like the kind of guy who kills the wives of laid off steal workers, which is another way of saying that negative campaigning. negative ads are double-edged. they have had a tremendous effect. including that really revolting add ad that was run against romney with a steel worker whose wife died of cancer looking into the camera blaming it essentially on romney and saying romney doesn't care about anybody. these things work. they do work. they are very effective. romney has the highest negatives or at least until d. until now at this stage of the campaign of any challenger in decades. but they work only up to and until they collide with reality. and reality is a debate where you see the real guy for the first time.
8:13pm
and you get this remarkable reaction in the cbs poll 56% of respondents said their opinion of romney had risen because their opinion of romney had been that he is he a repatients capitalist that gordon gecko, a guy who cares for nobody except himself and money and they see a reasonable guy, tough but respectful, and they realize that all the adst that they have seen are false. >> bill: okay. >> and the point you brought up that substantive one where you said it was the best line romney had about, you know, he is the guy that wants to raise taxes on the middle class and reduce the taxes on the rich. romney took the beginning of that debate and attacked each of the points and demolished them. again, all that came from negative advertising. i think what he did last night is he dissolved $150 million of negative ads and turned them to dust. >> bill: do you have any idea why barack obama didn't
8:14pm
mention the 47% comment? >> i was immediately struck by the fact last night in the commentary that's the first -- that's the first thing i mentioned because it was shocking. that is the best weapon that obama and he didn't use it the only possible explanation is that he thought that he is so far ahead he can sit on a lead. he doesn't need to take something that could be dangerous. because, if you get too tough, you are the incumbent, you are ahead and you get tough on the other guy. that he could be seen as negative. it could hurt obama's ora. this cool unflappable guy. that must have been the reasoning because there is no other reason. it makes no sense at all. >> bill: you don't have to do in a mean-spirited way. do you want to explain that governor? there is little unsettling to a lot of people. i'm sure romney was prepared and had an answer for it. but, it wasn't even raised. now, the most important thing
8:15pm
about governor romney's presentation last night is that he did change some hearts and minds, of course. now it's the money game. he will will be able to raise more money because as you pointed out, in ohio, president obama has outspent romney 45 million to 23 million. in florida, obama spent so far 40 million to romney's 21. almost two to one. and in virginia. 33 million to romney's 19. so, the ads that on television primarily that the obama campaign able to take out these n. these three crucial states have been almost 2 to 1. now people believe that romney has a chance and his supporters are going to pony up. so that's going to now bring the ad stuff closer together and i think that, above all else, other than the personal perception is the most important thing that happened last night. >> but, look, the deciding factor is not necessarily the
8:16pm
volume of the ads. 's it the content of the ads. and what romney succeeded in doing is undermining the theme of all the obama ads. i have seen them because i live near a swing state, virginia. and if you watched the nationals, you get every other inning the obama ad saying that mitt romney wants to raise taxes on the middle class and they have this little tiny print, which, you know, allegedly is the source of that. romney demolished that last night. how is it going to appear to anybody who has seen romney demolish that. >> bill: i agree. romney has to also. >> he has to use his stuff wisely. >> bill: he has got to come up with a theme. romney doesn't have a theme yet. what he done last night was won the debate on his own personal command of the issues. now he has got to get a theme for the second and third debate. and the theme i would assume would be president's incompetent. he is a not doing it on the
8:17pm
economy or overseas. last word, charld? >> unfortunately you are wrong. that's the tact that he has tried. the guy is a good guy but he failed. it didn't work. that's the clint eastwood line. his attack has to be what he did last night. this is trickle down government. the reason everything has gone wrong, the debt is high. the economy is struggling. unemployment is high is because is he a trickle down government guy. that's where he scored all his points. if he keeps it up with a barrage of that from here to election day, he wins. >> bill: all right. charles krauthammer, everyone. next on the run down, bob beckel one of the president's biggs supporters tell us how he saw it last night. later, megyn kelly and laura ingraham. kelly has some behind the scenes stuff. she is out in denver. is laura gloating today? we're coming right back. welcome aboard! [ chuckles ] ♪ [ honk! ] ♪ [ honk! ] ♪
8:18pm
[ honk! ] ♪ [ male announcer ] now you'll know when to stop. honk! ] the all-new nissan altima with easy fill tire alert. [ honk! ] it's our most innovative altima ever. nissan. innovation that excites. ♪
8:19pm
8:20pm
8:21pm
>> bill: impact segment tonight, as you saw in the talking points memo, some democrats are saying barack obama actually won the debate last night. not too many. it was clear to any honest observer that the president was off his game. while the governor was feisty. >> i'm sorry, jim, i'm going to stop the subsidy to pbs. i'm going to stop other things. i like pbs. i like big bird. i actually like you too. i'm not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from china to pay for. >> bill: can you explain, let's start with the 47% because neither charles nor i really -- we just don't get it it why didn't he use that? >> it's inexplicable to me. i mean, look, obama mailed in that debate last night. and romney was on his game. there is no question about it. now, whether that was because obama thought he was going to have an easy run at it, i
8:22pm
don't know. but the 47% has become so engrained and been so says tested and so negative for romney that you ought to use it it's as simple for that. >> bill: we know why he mailed in his game last night, the presidents, because one of the men that you idolize very much al gore told us it was just the elevation and the president was i guess didn't have enough oxygen and just couldn't get the energy level up. >> let's not waste our time on serious analysis with al gore's view about the air. >> bill: are you repudiating global warming? >> of course, not global warming but that idea is just superficial it's ridiculous. i want to congratulate you one thing on the 20 anniversary good call on your part. the bad call on your part is these debates are going to matter. there hasn't been a debate that has mattered since 1960 or maybe 1980. >> bill: bill different time.
8:23pm
>> let me get to the crux of this. >> bill: before you get bloviating and i know everybody wantto hear it? >> i'm not bloviating. that he was not what i'm here doing. >> bill: when the polls come out on monday and show i'm right and you're wrong. >> you're not right. >> bill: i want fillet minion sent to my office. >> i will do that for weeks at end. i will tell you that -- look, now what happens is i'm a firm believer in presidential politics and the expectation game. last night, obama was expected to do well, romney was not expected to do well. it was reversed. now, the expectations fall on romney to do well, the second time, and obama the expectations are lower. that's important. let me get to what charles krauthammer said who i admire a lot. that was solve morning at best. the idea that this guy answered the tax issue, you, the mainstream media, all the cable is absolutely outrageous that nobody has followed up and asked this guy specifically governor, when you come up with all these ridiculous statements that you
8:24pm
going to save the fence, that you are going to cut everybody 20%. you are going to save social security and medicare and yet you are going to do it by cutting into certain tax loopholes and you won't name one loophole, where are you, bill? ask him the question. >> bill: listen, any comes in for an interview i certainly will: >> bill: do you believe in the political axiom that perception is relation? do you believe in that? >> i believe -- i believe certainly perception is reality to a certain extent. but only -- >> bill: only make your mistakes. i think president obama making the same mistake you are making. wait a minute, you will get your reply. president obama made the same mistake you are making on the factor right now. he is too wonkish. he came across a professor. he wanted to explain what people in tucson, arizona, they are suffering because they lost their homework. and he is going to find it for them. and people going we just want the broad picture here. we have a capitalist free
8:25pm
market tier, rom anything, quasieuropean top-down economy guy. obama. most voters are not going to get involved like you do. they are not going to nurture the details of the tax plan. >> you know, bill, do yourself a favor. i don't ever try to tell you thousand do it. v because you are the master of it. do not tell me about presidential politics. that is absolutely phenomenally wrong. >> bill: that's why he didn't do well last night. he came off as a wonkish guy. >> it has nothing to do with wonkish. it had everything to do with not doing your job. the job is to -- look, if you are going to say that you are going to deal with jobs and your deficit, then there is a fundamental question, how. and if you are not willing to answer that you have abbey advocated your -- >> bill: money from the folks and he he will spend more. >> yeah, yeah, yeah. make charles krauthammer happy. >> bill: that's what he is saying. >> it did not make the people out in america that much
8:26pm
happier this guy being elitist. >> bill: what do you say -- >> are you kidding me? i will take a hamburger. >> bill: we got rasmussen and sabato. >> that's fine. >> bill: what do you say monday when the first polls come out that will reflect this debate how much of a bump does governor romney get? 5 pointle? 4 -- points, 4 points? >> i think romney will get 6 to 7 points. >> bill: that's big, beckel. >> that's. until the second debate. the second debate when the expectation is on romney to start to deliver something besides what he gave you last night and he did a good job. he is going to have to explain. if you want to beat an incumbent president you have got to do it with somebody. this guy is giving you nobody with substance who can do it. as simple as that i want to get you that fillet minion, bill but it ain't going to happen. >> bill: no you don't:
8:27pm
>> stick to tv i will take politics. >> bill: bob beckel three and a half minutes ago you said the polls -- these debates don't mean anything. now you are saying 6 or 7 bumps. cut off as you always do. as you always do. you show me a debate that made a difference in the last 20 years and i will buy you the fillet minion. >> bill: all right, beckel. i have got to go. i would love to spend a month with you. plenty more as the factor moves along. megyn kelly with behind the scenes stuff. how did the press react. ms. ingraham on the right wing media. are they gloating this evening? we hope you stay tuned to those reports. ♪ lord, you got no reason ♪ you got no right ♪ ♪ i find myself at the wrong place ♪ [ male announcer ] the ram 1500 express.
8:28pm
♪ it says a lot about you. ♪ in a deep, hemi-rumble sort of way. guts. glory. ram.
8:29pm
8:30pm
>> bill: mitt romney will get a bounce in the polls after his debate performance. as you know polling this year has been suspect because some companies with using 2008 voting model which few belief
8:31pm
will hold in 2012. fewer people and minorities will turn out this year. scott rasmussen and charlottesville dr. larry sabato teaches politics at the university of virginia. already, doctor, poll bounce? what's your prediction? >> i think governor romney's excellent performance is going to move the needle a couple of points. i don't think it's going to be a giant poll bounce to a single debate. the key is whether he continues showing his stuff in the remaining two presidential debates. >> bill: so beckel says 6 or 7 points. you say much less than that in the polls? >> for a single debate performance, yes. and, remember, bounce is always fade. they tend to be sustained. if you sustain your performance. that is the challenge governor romney has. >> bill: all right, scott. you are polling right now, right? >> absolutely. and when will your first national poll that reflects the debate be out? >> first national poll done after the debate comes out next sunday morning. next couple of days get a hint
8:32pm
where it is moving. >> bill: do you want to predict where it's going? >> the president was ahead a couple of points before the debate. it wouldn't surprise me if he is behind by a couple. >> bill: three or four point swing? >> three or four point swing. >> bill: you are also doing the swing state polls, ohio, virginia, florida. those do you hope to see the same things there. >> absolutely. now, in ohio, the president has had a little bigger lead. any gains that romney makes will perhaps just cut into that. wouldn't surprise me if mr. romney moves ahead in florida or virginia. >> bill: now, things are going really really fast now. okay? we're down about a month before we are going to vote. and it gets to be harder and harder the closer and closer you get to election day, correct? >> correct. >> bill: that's why i feel mitt romney did himself a tremendous favor last night by coming across the way he did. >> big favor last night partly because voting is now on in ohio and other places. they are actually casting ballots today. also this report on unemployment coming out
8:33pm
tomorrow. could either add to romney's momentum or perhaps change the story entirely. >> bill: okay. now, dr. sabato has a beef with me about my talking points memo if i were a student in his class, i probably would be running on the c track right now. what's your complaint. >> twice in your show today already you have compared president obama to boring college professors. [ laughter ] i just simply want you to know every colleague i have ever had could have turned in a better performance last night than i saw president obama give in denver. so i want you to take that back. >> bill: all right. i'm sorry i offended boring college professors. i attended harvard so believe me i am familiar with them. and, what is the other beef you have? >> that was it. >> bill: that was it the rest of it was imagine if magnificen. excellent. your class i have gone from a c to a b. >> i don't have that much
8:34pm
great inflation give me your best speculation. ee don't like to do that here but the 47% remark did he forget about it. was al gore right he was dazed by the rockie mountain and he didn't focus? how do you not use that? >> i think it is absolutely inexplicable. it's political malpractice. >> bill: we all agree wouldn't know why he he wouldn't do it? >> political malpractice. whatever the reason is part of the back story is coming out. you are hearing it. the president didn't put the time in. >> bill: oh, stop. this is that i mean will you pinheaded college professors. you can't tell me a guy as smart as barack obama didn't remember the biggest gaffe that his opponent had. come on. that takes 32 seconds to figure that out gee, i should bring this up. why didn't he do it? >> every incumbent president
8:35pm
has a bad first debate. >> bill: it's like ford saying that the soviet union isn't dominating eastern europe? brain freeze? >> even ronald reagan had a terrible first debate in 1984. i think it's inexplicable. it's inexcusable. >> bill: maybe it's brain freeze. that happens sometimes. >> rick perry. >> bill: that's right. governor perry couldn't remember what agencies he wanted to close down but he knew he wanted to close them. when we come right back, megyn kelly with behind the scenes stuff after the debate last night. kelly is next. uld smoke for the first week... i'm like...yeah, ok... little did i know that one week later i wasn't smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions
8:36pm
while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serus allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
8:37pm
email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business. it's just one of the ways
8:38pm
constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try. >> bill: thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly. in the kelly file segment tonight, kelly was out in denver with bret baier coverage the debate. ratings say about 58 million people tuned into all
8:39pm
concerns. however, fox news may have won the ratings race hoping those pinheads at the network. know tomorrow. here to de-brief us ms. megyn. so there you are, among all the sweating media panting, you know how they are. >> yeah. >> shepard: give -- >> bill: give me inside stuff there. >> i can't remember. rockie mountain high. >> bill: did you see al gore? >> no. >> bill: he was there. >> i must have missed him somehow. no, the number one thing that struck out at me because i had never been to one of these before was spin alley. so you know i was inside the debate arena. bret was on the outside spin alley. you see all the people try to spin the media and tell them my guy won. see those little red signs. that's senator john thune if you want to talk to him and hear his opinion. marco rubio and senator portman. the field was flooded with with those red signs.
8:40pm
they were everywhere. >> bill: you walk up to those guys and say i'm from so and so. >> fnc has these guys come to them. they are national they will come to us. these are local media trying to get these guys quick sound bite on camera. >> bill: that's interesting. >> there were maybe two blue signs that's it. in a sea of maybe 15 red. there were no blue. i talked to carl cameron about it you gays know him. that's how you can tell who won and who lost. if the blue team thought that president obama won it too would be flooded with blue signs. this is what happens. they are in the back figuring out what they're going to try to say. >> bill: spinning people say the president won. stefanie cutter. >> they had cutter and axelrod and mow -- mosena. one was saying romney is a great debatedder. one was saying he was testy. they didn't even have their messages straight. they were out there five minutes and disappeared in the back again. >> bill: that's what i heard. i think this was cutter saying the president was quietly dignified and was like you
8:41pm
know, little neck crick. >> one romney was defensive. i think objective observer. >> bill: spin alley. that's was one thing that impressed you. there is a wide perception that the media favors barack obama. did you see any press people, all right, they were like hunched over and because on as i mentioned talking points memo one of the other cable networks, i mean, they were hearses, like a funeral durge. did you see any of the mainstream media doing that? >> did i not see that the debate wrapped up and we went back to -- >> bill: you didn't see any outward displace of angst by the mainstream press. >> no. i would say the press behind the scenes there, you know, we are human beings, we have eyes, we have ears. >> bill: did you say that the press are humannings?
8:42pm
-- beings? >> that's true. two other things that jumped out at me. security is everywhere. secret service. president, the guy who wants to be president. we were told get in the debate hall by 6:15 mountain time if you want to anchor your show. i'm a news person. it was 6:09 i had a few minutes to spare. secret service you missed the deadline. 6:09 we closed it. you are not getting. in where upon the begging began. >> bill: why didn't you say i have to call bill if you don't let me in. >> i did. '. no secret service guys. >> then, whenever you go out in the field you may have technical difficulties. you were live. you loss lost the satellite feed oonch i'm sitting in my chair. shep is sitting here. i'm anchor with broadcast and i'm with fnc. i'm there, everything looks all right. but right before this, instead of getting fox news return we
8:43pm
call it fox news show in the monitor and seeing the teleprompter i had the yankee game. why did i have the yankee game. >> pick it up with shepard smith. shepard smith had the yankee game put in there instead of getting fnc i had the yankee game i almost missed entire broadcast. >> bill: shepard smith is so jealous of this program he had the yankee game on so nobody could see the factor. >> bill: where is shepard smith he didn't come back. >> he they had flight difficulties. >> bill: i used to use that myself at abc. see you next tuesday i can't get out of here. i don't know why. i could fly to miami though but i can't get back to new york. >> maybe we could put on program that's what we call it maybe i could -- i would like to see bill. not you but your guest. >> we will get it, we will get it it's inching closer to the program all i can see is baseball. shepard is over there and his camera is fine. is he going to have his prompter and be golden.
8:44pm
over my shoulder is he like oh yeah, they are winning, it's over. we're good. thanks a lot, shepard. >> bill: he will throw you to the wolves. >> the yankees did quite well. i was forced to watch. >> bill: we have one other legal story in play here. george zimmerman the guy in trouble in florida in the travon martin case is suing nbc for doctoring a 911 tape. does zimmerman have a chance to win this? >> he has got a chance but i don't think it's a good one at all. he hasn't actually filed we're being telling you about he is strongly. they fired three people. tough to pin this on nbc management unless you can prove there is a history of doctoring tapes that they knew about. >> bill: you can't win for a mistake. >> very hard to pin it on the network itself. and also i think zimmerman by this point when this happened to him had become a public figure and as you know almost possible for a public figure to recover for defamation. have to prove they did it maliciously to hurt you. he he might be able to. he has a shot on that.
8:45pm
>> bill: he could get commentary from that network and went wild and convicted him. >> i don't know if you can pin it on the network. the guy who made the decision. >> he can pull nbc commentary that convicted him so if you an attorney real quick. would you advise him to file. >> i would not, no, just too high a standard. >> bill: megyn kelly glad she is back. jon stewart talking trash on good morning america. >> i'm going at him. when i'm done with o'reilly he will convert to judaism. this guy is going down. >> bill: all right. we'll see and we'll be right back.
8:46pm
8:47pm
8:48pm
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight, many conservative americans very happy today after watching the debate. joining us from washington fox news star laura ingraham.
8:49pm
did you hear any gloating today, laura. >> well, bill, before we get into the gloating, can i say that i just drove past the george washington university convention area where your debate is going to be. you thought those today show summer concert sies lines were big, i mean, you have got people with tents there. we have got little kerosene stoves. >> bill: is that right? >> laura: hot dogs, hamburgers, like a hamburgable festival. >> they are waiting in stewart. >> it's a wild story here in d.c. nobody is talking about the debate. they are talking about the debate to come on saturday night. >> bill: rumble 2012.com. a lot different than last night. when i was doing the radio factor, i really because what i like about talk radio so much is that you speak to a wide variety of people they come in. what was the consensus today on your program. was it gloating?
8:50pm
was it cautious optimism? what was it? >> there was definitely gloating today, bill. it's been a rough month or so or maybe more for the romney campaign. where a lot of republicans felt like okay, this is a real opportunity i'm on the record saying if you can't beat barack obama with this record shut down the party. i said that, it got a lot of play. i really mean it. this is a record very difficult to defend even if you are a really good politician. barack obama is a really good politician. >> bill: he wasn't last night though. interestingly enough. did your audience callers have any theory about why the president wasn't very good last night. >> people understand that for the last four years and maybe most of his life barack obama hasn't really been challenged all that much. he is seen as a his whole life
8:51pm
as a rising star. is he a special guy. he is historic. and he is kind of cool background. press corps for the most part a vested interest in cacooning around him in giving him a protected place. let me share one tweet i got back today, bill. that more -- people believe that you have already put in more time wanted in preparing for your debate with stewart than barack obama put in for his debate with mitt romney. >> bill: maybe that's true. i don't know. it's impossible to know that here is what is interesting. i interviewed barack obama twice. i gave him you know what i do with everybody. but he was nimble. i thought i beat him on some things. it wasn't what i saw last night. it wasn't that. i mean, he was engaged.
8:52pm
he wasn't engaged last night. that's what it was. whereas romney was. romney really believes. >> he was having fun. >> bill: here, the difference, romney believed everything he said. can you call romney a liar and say this and say that. >> it wasn't just that. he believed but bill. >> bill: the president is like ah, you know. >> yeah, bill, of the president has to defend four years, it's very difficult to defend. he really can't. >> bill: i created this and i did that. >> he created a big mess. i'm sorry but barack obama is smart enough to know that when the real unemployment is 11.7%. that's kind of hard to defend. and when you don't have a teleprompter and you don't have a press giving you the circling the wagons treatment and up against a guy who actually did exist in the business world and thrive in that world, it's like the emperor has no clothes. and last night i believe the emperor has no clothes.
8:53pm
>> bill: i don't believe barack obama san empty suit. >> i'm talking about last night. >> bill: it wasn't just last night. the tel her. mundo interview? >> he was challenged. >> bill: they didn't challenge him. they hammered him. that was like whoa. >> bill,. >> bill: so that's two. two in a row. >> biffle, let me share something with you. he became president of the harvard law review, okay? i was in law school at the same time barack obama was. i was at the university of virginia school of law. i was on the law review. i wasn't the president. nevertheless, when you rise to that rank at harvard law school, you rise to that rank because you are smart and you know your stuff. well, last night barack obama showed up at this debate as the guy who kind of blew off studying until the last minute and maybe pulled an all nighter and thought he was going to get by on his whit and maybe a little bit on his charm. last night that wasn't good enough up against the guy who
8:54pm
prepares to the hilt for a presentation with investors or in this case with the american voters. it didn't work. >> bill: i will be on with ms. laura on her radio program tomorrow. >> yeah. here we go. >> bill: it will be interesting. jon stewart talking trash on gma this morning about me. the tip 60 seconds away. does your phone give you all day battery life ? droid does.
8:55pm
and does it launch apps by voice while learning your voice ? launch cab4me. droid does. keep left at the fork. does it do turn-by-turn navigation ? droid does. with verizon, america's largest 4g lte network, and motorola, droid does. get $100 off select motorola 4g lte smartphones like the droid razr. >> factor tip of the day in just a moment. but first, first-day sales of "killing kennedy," more than one one -- more than 100,000 copies. thanks for that. if you buy "killing kennedy," we will send you the book "darkness rising," absolutely free of charge. all the proceeds from the web site go to charity. i really appreciate you guys checking out bill o'reilly.com. now to the mail...
8:56pm
>> well, i hope so. i'm a big fan of mathew. do you think president obooma relied on that scripture last night?
8:57pm
>> well, i thank you for reading my book, marie. >> thank you. >> i'm with you. >> i used to live in denver, love the city. it's on my list. if you want to take a drive across the
8:58pm
8:59pm
we really encapsulate what happened last night in denver, so check it out. we would like you to spout off about the factor. plent tow talk about in the email today. name and town, name and town if you wish to opine. word of the day, do not be splenetic when writing to the factor. have you to look it up. i know you want me to tell you what it means, but you will forget it then. it's like a dollar -- when you earn the dollar, you appreciate the dollar.